Sunday, November 25, 2007

Kate's Favorite Holiday Flicks


1. White Christmas
2. Home for the Holidays
3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
4. Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
5. Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
6. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
7. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
8. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964)
9. Frosty the Snowman (1969)
10. Elf
11. A Christmas Story
12. The Bishop's Wife
13. Love Actually
14. The Family Stone
15. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

These aren't in any particular order with the exception that White Christmas, Home for the Holidays, and the two versions of Miracle on 34th Street are actually my three (four) favorites. I love, love, LOVE all those animated ones and truly there is a Charlie Brown special for every holiday all year including arbor day, for crying out loud. A Christmas Story was a favorite in my youth and it's cult status requires it be on the list though I've moved on from that in recent years. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a terrific comedy about public transportation and holidays... truly the perfect combination for tragedy and comedy, because in the end all you can do is laugh. Elf is strange but I found it entertaining. I like Love Actually more every time I see it so that now I'm happy to include it on this list. The Bishop's Wife is one I just watched last year and this holiday season I am determined to add Christmas in Connecticut and It's a Wonderful Life to my holiday movie line up since I've never seen either of those.

Some may think I have some obvious omissions on this list and perhaps consider I may not have seen those films.. but the truth is I'm not a fan of any variant of A Christmas Carol and I didn't enjoy the the Home Alone films. And I didn't really like Holiday Inn. Sooo... call me a grinch or a scrooge, if you like. But I have 15 films/holiday specials that I would stand behind and given more time I bet I could find more. I'll update if I do think of some!


--Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home