Friday, November 02, 2007

Mmmmmmm.... Delicious Music

Released only a little over a week ago, Raising Sand, featuring Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, is suddenly everywhere. Perhaps it only seems that way because I know about the CD for once. In my blog browsing I ran across a post singing its praises and I found my way to Amazon to listen to song samples. Impressed, I immediately bought the album and I encourage others to check it out. For me, the initial attraction was the unusual pairing of these artists. But the overall sound proved to be wonderful. The sounds are soft, rich, soothing, mellow and melodious, though these words fail to truly capture the spirit of the album. Krauss and Plant cover songs by Tom Waits, Mel Tillis, Townes Van Zandt, The Everly Brothers ("Gone, Gone Gone (Done moved on)" is my current fav on the disc) and more. The album is produced by T. Bone Burnett, another famous name in the music industry... just one more reason to give it a try.

As I listen, I can imagine this album playing in the nursery, while my babies are drifting off to sleep. That's not something I would have thought I could say about Robert Plant in the past. Alison Krauss is Alison Krauss, but Plant seems to stretch in a way that suits him wonderfully. He reminds us of his range in styles and his talent in vocals.

I'm still absorbing the wonder of this CD and not ready to offer a song by song analysis or review. Nevertheless, here are the track listings:

1. Rich Woman
2. Killing the Blues
3. Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us
4. Polly Come Home
5. Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)
6. Through the Morning, Through the Night
7. Please Read the Letter
8. Trampled Rose
9. Fortune Teller
10. Stick with Me Baby
11. Nothin'
12. Let Your Loss Be Your Lesson
13. Your Long Journey

For more reviews click here, here, and here.

Listen to the album here.

--Kate

1 Comments:

At Saturday, November 03, 2007 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Kate & Spencer said...

P.S. I am checking out Rock N Roll Jesus right now on the Kid Rock website! Thanks for the tip!

--Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home