Sunday, October 23, 2005

Two Children's Books by Jon J. Muth

Following up on a recommendation, I discovered this unique picture book and promptly bought it for my collection. Jon J. Muth's book Zen Shorts offers an introduction to the Zen tradition for young readers accompanied by beautiful watercolor illustrations. In recent days I've become "panda-obsessed" now that I can watch pandas live at the Smithsonian Zoo compliments of this site. Thus Muth's book featuring Stillwell, a giant panda bear is an added bonus.

When Stillwell moves next door he shares traditional Buddhist and Taoist tales in turn with each of his three curious young neighbors: Michael, Karl, and Addy. They first discover their unusual neighbor when he appears just outside their door clutching an umbrella.

"'I am sorry for arriving unannounced,' said the bear. 'The wind carried my umbrella all the way from my backyard to your backyard. I thought I would retrieve it before it became a nuisance.' He spoke with a slight panda accent." (frankly, that last line made me chuckle)

The curiosity of the children causes each to seek out Stillwater and in turn he offers each of them a story. The stories are actually short meditations from two Zen traditions, Zen Buddhism and Taoism which introduce the virtues of generosity, the nature of luck, and the dangers of anger and materialism. This children's book produces a calm, serene effect on the reader. I love it.

The Three Questions is an earlier book by Muth that borrows from Tolstoy and the author has some fun with the names of his characters. A young boy named Nikolai wants to know the answers to these three questions: What is the best time to do things? Who is the most important one? What is the right thing to do? He discovers the answers when he seeks the advice of an old turtle named Leo. Equally as beautiful and wonderful as Zen Shorts, I must treat myself to this one next. A children's book based on a Tolstoy short story begs to be bought and treasured.


--Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home