Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Would You Believe?

Don Adams, known to many as Maxwell Smart on the 60s television program Get Smart, died at the age of 82 yesterday. I realize I haven't thought of him in years and it's sad that it takes his death to suddenly remind me of my love for the guy.... I guess that's the thing about the birthday and death observances we've been dallying in lately.

I loved watching this show when I was a kid. Somehow I prefer this sort of "spy movie spoof" over Austin Powers. Though, it's all in good fun. In fact, I think I may have been aware of the spoof prior to the "real thing".....falling in love with Smart's gadgets before I was even aware of the wonderful toys that were bestowed upon Bond. I loved Agent 99, played by Barbara Feldon and how she never had another name even after they got married. Still, he was often referred to by her in a sort of headshaking way.... "Oh, Max...."

Maxwell Smart, also known as Agent 86, had a dizzying sense of logic... "Just remember this 'A coward is a frightened man who's scared to be brave; but a brave man is only a coward who isn't scared to be frightened'."

Smart was always bungling things, in trouble with the "Chief" and he worked for an organization called C.O.N.T.R.O.L. while the enemies were from KAOS. I also loved the other popular agent who was always showing up in strange, improbable places... like lockers or vending machines. I don't remember that many details other than the fact that Agent 99 went from brainy partner to wife and mother and that Max was always ending up in a pinch. Don Adams also played the voice of the popular cartoon Inspector Gadget. I suppose that was appropriate... After all, I think we all wanted a shoe phone.... who knew that cell phones would be so much more convenient!

--Kate

1 Comments:

At Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Just Spencer said...

Don Adams died? That is just terrible! And he was so wonderful in that great, classic movie, "Back To The Beach," the film with the most amazing cast every assembled for a single movie-- even more amazing than were the casts of "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World," or "Grand Hotel."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home