Monday, September 12, 2005

"Gentlemen, the lunchbox has landed!"

I just watched The Full Monty on HBO and had such a good time. I forgot how much I love that film. Not only is it a good soundtrack (perfect for stripping?) but it's a film worth owning. I know I have a weakness for British films like Billy Elliot, Dear Frankie, (even Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels) but my love for this movie is more than that. It's about a group of down-and-out men willing to do anything to make the money, not so much for themselves, but for their loved ones who they don't want to disappoint.. I felt like I was right there during the final dance scene, whooping, blushing, shaking my head in wonder. When it was done I wanted to applaud. The film is comic and heartwarming.I have two favorite scenes (aside from their actual performance, of course). One is when the men are huddled around the television watching Flashdance in an effort to learn how it's done. Welder by day, dancer by night. Incidentally I used to try to reenact that dance scene in my living room as a child watching myself dance in the picture window. Good thing we lived in the country and there were no neighbors watching. My parents kindly refrained from comment. The other scene I love is in the unemployment line when Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" starts playing the men slowly, almost unconsciously start practicing their new moves. It's terrific.
The Full Monty brings to mind another with a similar feel. Calendar Girls is a story of friends who are seeking to raise money for a hospital. The women put out a calendar each year and this year one of the women gets an idea to do a nude one to really spice things up and rake in some money. The fundraising is more of a personal mission as the women seek to support one of their friends whose husband dies from cancer early on in the film. The kick is that they are all fifty-something women. This one is based on a true story and has an amazing cast.
--Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home