Sunday, September 09, 2007

Madeline L'Engle (1918-2007)


Last Friday marks the loss of one my favorite children's book authors. I read the "time quintet" as a child. And a few years ago I listened to an audio book version of Madeline L'Engle reading A Wrinkle in Time. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me when a woman of nearly 90 passes away, but I guess it simply serves to remind me of the books, the legend of the lady, and I felt I needed to pause and pay tribute. Here's her official website.







"A Wrinkle in Time" tells the story of adolescent Meg Murry, her genius little brother Charles Wallace, and their battle against evil as they search across the universe for their missing father, a scientist.

The brother and sister, helped by a young neighbor, Calvin, and some supernatural spirits, must pass through a time travel corridor (the "wrinkle in time") and overcome the ruling powers on a planet with a totalitarian government reminiscent of George Orwell's "1984."

"A Wrinkle in Time" exposes readers to the words of great thinkers, as its characters quote Shakespeare, the Bible, Euripides, Dante and others.

L'Engle followed it up with further adventures of the Murry children, including "A Wind in the Door," 1973; "A Swiftly Tilting Planet," 1978, which won an American Book Award; and "Many Waters," 1986.

"A Ring of Endless Light," 1980, is part of another L'Engle series, the Austin family books. In all, there were nine Austin books from 1960 to 1999, and eight Murry books from 1962 to 1989, many featuring a grown-up, married Meg and Calvin and their children.

--taken from this site

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home