Friday, July 29, 2005

Nick and Nora Charles--one of my favorite film couples



In honor of William Powell's birthday, July 29, I would like to recognize 1/2 of one of my favorite duos--William Powell and Myrna Loy. Though he's appeared in countless movies, all of which Spencer has seen, I am only familiar with The Thin Man movies. And they are delicious. Rarely seen without a drink is his hand, Nick Charles offers witty banter with his wife, Nora, who is unfailingly stylish even in her dressing gowns and together they manage to solve mysteries no one else can. And who can forget Asta, a dog with such personality? I love the audio clips on this website and my very favorite is from After the Thin Man at the New Year's Party right after Nick is kissed by another woman in the confusion of midnight. Click here and then select "Made Any New Year's Resolutions?"

"You finished with this?"
"Yes, and I know as much about the murder as they do. So, I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune."
"I read you were shot five times in the tabloids."
"It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids."
-- Nick and Nora in The Thin Man

Perhaps it's not the best example of that amusing wit I treasure so much. Still, coupled with his mannerisms, facial expression, and Nora's wry comments at every turn, I think nearly every scene in this film is gold. I can't imagine how I lived so long without these films... Thank you, Spencer.... you are my north star.
--Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home